Thursday 9 October 2014

Not So Silent - The Reprise



My wife away at dinner time allows a certain je ne sais quoi at the dinner table with me and the boys (but not our 50).

The music is louder, the behaviour and conversation, if not more raucous (that would be hard to believe), then indefinably more male and a little more relaxed (which has nothing to do with my wife - I tend to be the hardliner). It's maybe somehow, I'm more relaxed and that flows through the group.

So perhaps with that casual vibe it was inevitable, the 7 year old lets one rip right there at the table. ZZZZart!

I pause and look at him directly. He gives me a winning smile. He knows why I'm looking at him. I work hard not to smile back. Damn it, he's good.

I lower my brow and stare hard at him.

"Don't you have something to say?"

He jerks his thumb towards his brother beside him. Still grinning madly.

"It was him."

Oh, brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment